Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Baucis and Philomen


Evidence that Sir Thomas Browne appreciated the artistry of Flemish painter Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640) and also possessed a poetic sensibility, notably when he was far from the city.

Inspired by the good folk of bootiful Norfolk, the following verse, originally written in Latin, can be found in his commonplace notebooks-

'Being in the country a few miles from Norwich, I observed a handsome bower of honey-suckle over the door of a right good man; which bower I fancied to speak as followeth:

I would rather cheer a humble healthy yeoman here,
Than cherish noble noses
And nostrils foul with the plague and contagion...
Nor do I seek to cleanse stinking throats and perjured mouths
With a decoction of my leaves.
Nor do I wreathe the hard lintels of the great,
Compared to whom Cerberus would be a lamb.
But I adorn the kindly door of my master and mistress,
A house where enters neither force nor guile.
Such, if the gods came down to earth from heaven,
Is the cottage which Jupiter and Mercury would enter.*

Adding this footnote-

*Alluding to the fable in Ovid of Baucis and Philemon entertaining Jupiter and Mercury in their cottage; whereof hangs in my parlour from a draught of Rubens'.

Browne must be writing of some kind of reproduction here, perhaps a printed etching, surely not the original oil-painting of Baucis and Philomen (above) attributed to the collective workshop of Peter Paul Rubens (circa 1620-5)

No comments: